Homebirths and Emergencies

I often get families who choose not to do a homebirth because they're afraid that "something might happen". It's a valid fear however it shows the lack of understanding of what a Midwife is and what she does.
Midwives training is designed to know what the normal process of labor is, how it varies, and when are those variables actual red flags. We then have training to prepare us for the "what if's". It's why we have to carry oxygen, resuscitation equipment, IV supplies, antibiotics, suturing equipment, pitocin, and our homeopaths and herbs. We very much understand the natural process and like to prepare for quick changes.
We also are trained how to handle those quick changes in a comfortable, natural, calm setting with mom and family close by to understand what's happening and be involved in the choices that will need to be made.
It's sad to see a birth choice made, that wasn't the true birth choice, simply because a family didn't understand the birth process.
Here are some stories from families where some quick changes accord, assistance was needed, and the journey through it.

Iman:
Nasir was a fairly easy labor, but when he came out he was limp and I guess not breathing on his own. You told me in a very calm manner that you were going to give him a quick breath and he was breathing on his own right after that. Because of your demeanor I had no idea that he was in distress. It took me a while to figure out that something was wrong at all and I probably asked you a couple of times before I understood completely that Nasir was in a little trouble. I still get chills thinking of how well you handled yourself under pressure and made sure not to worry me or my birth team. I know I've said it before but I'm beyond grateful with how you brought my son back to life with those two rescue breaths and kept me calm during the process.

Jessica:
So, little (ok, not so little) Miss Addie...I was in the tub while delivering and was able to get her head out, however, Gelena and Sandy thought she was taking too long to make her complete entrance. They both quickly removed me from the tub and calmly, yet sternly, told me that I had to push and get the rest of her out "now". She wasn't breathing and Gelena calmly asked if she could giver her some mouth breaths...within seconds she was in my arms...I was definitely nervous, but confident that they both were knowledgeable and could handle the situation. I believe had I delivered in a hospital she would have probably been taken away from me to "run some tests" and who knows what else to make it a more stressful situation. If I ever (and it's definitely not in the plans) get pregnant again, I wouldn't hesitate to have these ladies as my midwives! I owe two beautiful, healthy babies to them! P.S....Addie turns 1 on Feb 13! I'm in denial!

Image may contain: 1 person, standing

Andrea:
When Ember was born at home in the water, somehow her cord tore soon after birth. This is a very rare occurrence. Gelena noticed as she went to clamp the cord and saw that it was already severed. Knowing that the placenta could resend, she had me move to the couch to deliver the placenta sooner than expected to ensure that it came out whole and did not pose any danger. She handled the situation with clear instructions and there were no further issues. As something unexpected arose, she was attentive to adapt!

Kelly:
 Hannah was born at home in a calm, soothing environment. After having my first daughter with you, I was more than confident in your skills. I was able to completely relax and let go knowing you would be open and honest about everything going on and I wouldn't need to worry about alterior motives. Hannah was born and had a slight murmur. Her skin was still pretty blue after a while. You calmly assessed her and administered an additional test. Knowing what you do about pulse ox levels, you reached out for a second opinion from her pediatrician. You received a response and immediately told me we needed to transport Hannah to the ER. Your way of delivering that news was not only calm and confident, but reassuring that I needed to go and be with my baby and continue that bonding. I'm so thankful we had the gentle home birth and bonding experience that we did. Had I delivered Hannah in a hospital, she would've been stripped away from me immediately, no doubt. With little explanation as to what was going on or when I would be able to see her. I would have been stuck in my hospital bed instead of holding her in my arms in the ER before being admitted to the NICU. She's alive, happy and healthy today, thanks to the knowledge and quick responses of Gelena and Sandy  It was the most beautiful way to undergo that experience that I can imagine.

Melissa:
 My third was my only baby who ever needed any assistance after birth, his color wasn't good and his cry was weak but you gave him a few puffs of air and he was fine. And while I was worried about him, I was not concerned about his safety or your ability to care for him at home. (shameless plug for my blog post about it  http://www.beyondmommying.com/.../my-messy-beautiful.../)


Jessica:
Adaira was fine, but you almost gave her a puff of oxygen before she started crying. And I remember not feeling concerned at all because you were so confident. She had her cord wrapped THREE times around her neck, and people freak about that but I wasn't worried at all. I didn't even know until after lol! Partly because you always encouraged me to research so I knew the real deal about Nuchal cords. But mostly because you were so calm and sure. Even if it had been an issue I absolutely felt safer home with you and Sandy than in a hospital. Not a question. ðŸ’•

Comments

Popular Posts