Gentle C/sections when a VBAC isn't possible

I always have a soft spot for VBAC's. I think it's mainly due to the fact that I am a VBAC or because I know how possible it truly is.
So when my client came to me wanting a VBAC I thought nothing of it. We went about our time together prenatally, tending to her, checking on her and baby, making sure all was ok and it was. All the way until we got to 40weeks. I always recommend moms get a Biophysical exam around 41wks so we can ensure all is well and can continue to our legal 42wks gestation.
Now at each prenatal I do palpation, and I usually know a head from a butt any old day of the week. Well this little stinker had me for a loop, I knew baby wasn't well positioned but I still felt that head was down and butt was up, or so I thought.
After my client got her 41wk ultrasound she calls me and the first words out of her mouth were, "he's breech". I was stunned. Her first c/s was due to breech and it had been her fear all along. I felt such a heavy weight fall on me, it was horrible. I was so determined to give her this amazing birth that it discouraged me that it wasn't how I thought (lessons from babies).
We tried what we could at this point to turn baby, had a version by a great OB with no success, ice packs, flips, rebozo, you name it, we did it.
We finally realized a repeat c/s was going to happen, and so how could we make this peaceful and healing? After reaching out to many, found a great OB who was willing to do a gentle family centered c/s, and here's her story:
(thank you to the amazing photographer Sophia from Three Plus Photography)
http://blog.threeplusphotography.com/2014/07/a-family-centered-c-section-miami-birth.html

Comments

Popular Posts