Quiet birth of a VBAC Princess

I had the honor of attending a beautiful birth last night. I've attended many beautiful births and I likely will attend many more, but each one is unique in its own way.
This mom had sought me out at the very beginning of her pregnancy. She had a cesarean section with her first when she was quite young and many years later she found herself wanting the natural waterbirth at home.
When I met with her she was so quiet and timid that I truly didn't think I'd see her again. I was happily surprised when she called weeks later to schedule her initial visit.
I'm a bit passionate when it comes to those wanting a VBAC. I feel it's so amazing that they have chosen this path and I want to make sure they get to experience all the beauty it can be. So needless to say, I was happy about it.
When the time came for her labor, we had quite a few "practice" labor checks because, well truly because I couldn't tell how intense anything was because she was SO quiet and timid! The pattern was slightly irregular but still frequent and according to her words (certainly not her actions), painful. I went and checked the first time, 2cm 70% effaced and baby was -1. I packed up my stuff after going over some relaxing techniques and told her to text me if it picked up. About 12 hours later, she checked in and although pattern was the same and so was her voice tone and demeanor, I went to check to be safe. This time around her demeanor was still the same but she had progressed slightly to 4 however station and effacement were the same. I again strongly suggested for her to rest and stay fed and hydrated. Another 8 or 9 hours she text me again, and I then asked if she'd like me to come? She said no but I really felt she said that simply because she felt bad. She was just that sweet and quiet of a person. I checked in an hour later, at this point I was getting anxious! She then said she felt "pushy" while on the toilet.
If you want to see a woman fly out of the house in under 2 minutes then have her be a Midwife and a client call and tell her that. The whole drive down I was so mad at myself for not going when I asked, and thought how terrible it would be if I missed it. I know it happens and sometimes its out of my control but obviously its not the outcome your banking on.
I arrived, for the third check, and she still seemed in early labor, visually. I checked her and she was about 6-7cm dilated and baby moved down a bit with a little increase in effacement. I was SO relieved that I didn't miss it and that we had progressed!
Her contractions continued on, now at this point it was increasing and she was moaning through them. She started to have the common " I can't do this" and I realized at that point we were very close. I had her sit on the toilet with the lights off for a quiet moment. She continued to moan but then suddenly quiet set back in. I realized I dozed off for a second and thought, where the heck did the contractions go? It had been awhile and myself and my assistant hadn't heard any of her moaning. I thought well this sometimes happens before pushing. The time kept ticking on with no noise. I finally suggested to her that maybe she'd want to walk a bit to get the contractions to pick back up? This is when she notified me that "oh yes they're still coming, I'm pushing and I think I feel her head"
Welp, there ya have it. Her quietness returned to transition her baby out. Sure enough I went to peak and saw this beautiful head crowning.
We quickly got her to the tub as she really wanted a waterbirth. She gave a few more soundless pushes only to turn and tell me "the head is out" and another push and baby arrived. I helped her get her baby to her chest as she turned to me and said "that wasn't so bad"....


Comments

Popular Posts