VBAC's, Midwives, and Birthworkers join us in helping keep womens maternity rights!


To Whom It May Concern,

 

 

I am writing this letter because it is important that we, as midwives, birthworkers, and women join together with support especially in times of need. Support for each other shows knowledge, unity, confidence, and much, much more.

I am a Licensed Midwife in the State of Florida (cesarean rate of 37.8%) and perform VBAC’s at clients homes. I myself am a VBAC mother of five.

 

I recently had a run in with an OB from Plantation General Hospital (cesarean rate of 44.7) where I needed to transfer a client who was attempting a VBAC. The on-call Dr. was not only completely rude, which happens, but also threatened to “make sure I never practiced medicine again”. He then, in the following weeks, proceeded to file a formal complaint with the Department of Health stating “In my opinion, VBAC’s should only be allowed in a hospital setting”. Personally, I know of only two VBAC friendly doctors in the state of Florida, although more claim they do perform VBAC’s at the hospital, later to find out they do not.

 

I am reaching out because in 2004 VBAC’s were banned in Florida from Birth Centers, and I fear that a woman’s right to attempt a VBAC at home may be at risk.

 

It is important that we are aware as a body, become organized in our goal to empower women and protect their option to have a safe VBAC or natural option of birth wherever they choose. I will be organizing a VBAC support page and directly state names of providers who are threatening our rights. I am also going to organize an informative gathering at a TBA location to help reach more women who may not be aware of their options, their doctors, or their facts. I ask for your support, direction, and any facts you can send my way to encourage women to truly know their provider (OB’s c/s rate, and actual successful VBAC’s they’ve performed).

 

I hope to see us continue to educate parents and OB’s on the safety and true facts of VBAC’s.

 

Thank you,

Gelena Hinkley LM CPM


(954) 780 9033

 

Please join me at the hearing set for:

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the:

Agency for Health Care Administration
2727 Mahan Drive
Building 3, Conference Room D
Tallahassee, FL 32308
There will not be a phone call-in number available.



https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/668705316534120/?context=create&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming&source=49

Comments

Popular Posts