Ancient postpartum traditions, and why we did them

India.png

Love this and wished all women would remember the 6 week postpartum period is for them to rest for a REASON!! I was lucky that my mom, aunt, and cousins came to do some of these things but more on the greek tradition line wink emoticon “My great great grandmothers and their descendants lived up to the ripe old age of 90 and above, despite giving birth to over 10 children. They were free of the usualcomplaints of rheumatism, arthritis, backaches, joint pains etc., because they strictlyfollowed the traditional confinementpractices...so my mother said and I aminclined to believe that because some of thewomen I know from my generation onwards, have been riddled with chronic back, jointand pelvic ailments, from the time their kidswere still in preschool, on account of alackadaisical attitude and skepticism towardsancient norms and practices. Most of their current health issues can be traced back to the lack of proper care during the postpartum period, not realizing that the first six weeks after childbirth is a pivotal phase in a woman's life, as medical science agree that it takes minimum six weeks for a woman to recover mentally and physically.”
http://www.birth-institute.com/alternative-medicine-and-childbirth//what-we-can-learn-from-indias-culture-and-traditions-during-the-postpartum-period

Comments

Popular Posts